Travel Guide to Landmannalaugar by Icerental4x4
This is the ultimate travel guide to Landmannalaugar. Here we will go over the roads and conditions that is good to know before driving the Icelandic highlands.
Landmannalaugar is one of the most popular places to visit in the highlands in Iceland. It is only allowed to drive to Landmannalaugar on a 4x4 cars.The roads to Landmannalaugar are only open during the summertime but is closed over the winter due to snow and heavy conditions. Estimate opening dates are as follow :
Fjallabaksleið Nyðri – F208 Earliest opening period | Lates opening period
- Sigalda – Landmannalaugar 09.06 26.06
- Laugar – Eldgjá 19.06 17.07
- Eldgjá – Skaftártunga 30.06 26.06
Fjallabaksleið syðri – F210
- Keldur – Hvanngil 30.06 17.07
- Hvannagil – Skaftártunga 30.06 23.07
Landmannaleið (Dómad.) – F225 18.06 03.07
What this tells us is that they estimate that you can go into Landmannalaugar from the 9th of June and some latest in early July. It all depends on the weather conditions when the roads and landscape will be ready to be driven and explored. On average they open in late June but it is something that can never be guaranteed as the Icelandic weather conditions are unpredictable.
What are Landmannalaugar ?
Landmannalaugar is in the highlands of Iceland located in the Fjallabak Nature Reserve. It is known for natural geothermal hot springs and the breathtaking landscape that surrounds you with mountains and lava fields. It is very popular to visit for hiking, one of the most popular hikes in Iceland the Laugavegur can either be started or finished in Landmannalaugar. Laugavegur hiking is a 53KM walk from the geothermal springs in Landmannalaugar to Þórsmörk nature reserve.
It is also possible to camp in Landmannalaugar where they have toilets, showers, and cooking equipment. It is also possible to rent a sleeping area in Landmannalaugar to stay overnight. Going to Landmannalaugar can also be a full-day trip with a 4x4 rental vehicle. It is only possible to travel to Landmannalaugar on a 4x4 car
It takes about 3 hours to drive to Landmannalaugar from Reykjavík but we do recommend to consider having some stops while driving towards Landmannalaugar as the landscape is majestical and it is hard to drive past without stopping and enjoying some of the views it has to offer.
How to get there?
There are many ways to go go to Landmannalaugar. Some roads may include rivers that need to be crossed, but there is also one way to go without crossing over any rivers.
- The best way to travel to Landmannalaugar to the basecamp is to drive from road nr1 to road 26 (or 30 and then 32) and turn right down to road F208. There is a gas station near the beginning of F208 on road 26 called the Highland Center Hrauneyjar. Driving road F208 from road 26 down to the basecamp has no rivers to cross, but the ride can get bumpy on the gravel roads. We always recommend going both in and out of Landmannalaugar with this route to avoid rivers. The landscape while driving F208 from 26 to basecamp is truly breathtaking.
- You can also enter from road 26 to road F225, called Landmannaleið. The road leads to road F208 where you will follow the signs and take F224 to go to basecamp. Driving F225 you will find a few rivers to cross, one of them can be deep. If it has been raining in previous days before you travel to Landmannalaugar we recommend taking F208 and not F225.
- It is also possible to enter Landmannalaugar from the south close to Vík from road 1 you turn up on F208 and it will end by the basecamp. This has always been a popular road to take to Landmannalaugar but it needs to be driven carefully as there are up to 18 rivers, small and large that need to be crossed. The first river when driving from South on F208 is the biggest and it can be very deep. If you are traveling in the end of the summer we do not recommend going this way. We would like to point out that we have lost vehicles on this route (From Vík, F208 to Landmannalaugar) so the risk is something that has to be considered.
- The last way to enter Landmannalaugar is to go on road F210 that leads to F208 on the south. While driving F210 you can see amazing views from Hekla a stratovolcano in the south of Iceland. This route also has rivers that will need to be crossed while driving so we do recommend to either take F225 or F208 from the north instead.
The roads going into Landmannalaugar are only open during the summertime. The highland roads are not paved and the road conditions can easily change due to weather, so we recommend driving a 4x4 rental car.
There are no insurances in Iceland that cover water damages so crossing rivers is the responsibility of the driver.
What car is best to rent to go to Landmannalaugar?
When choosing your rental vehicle it is important to keep in mind where you would like to travel and what roads to explore. When driving to Landmannalaugar you must have a 4x4 vehicle, but it is often tricky to choose what 4x4 vehicle is the best for the job.
We at Icerental4x4 specialize in 4x4 vehicles providing a wide range of vehicles in all sizes and ages so all groups can find their fit.
Suzuki Jimny – The Suzuki Jimny is perfect for 2 people traveling. Although it is mentioned for four-person, it is small so 2 person + luggage is perfect. The Jimny has proven its toughness in Iceland for many years. It has 4x4 and is a manual transmission. It has high ground clearance making it easy to drive on rough gravel roads.
Dacia Duster – Dacia Duster has been one of the most popular rental vehicles in Iceland in the past years. It has 4x4, where you can also lock the differential if necessary. It is suitable for four-person with luggage. It has good ground clearance and is very fuel-efficient for a 4x4 vehicle.
Suzuki Grand Vitara – The Suzuki Grand Vitara is perfect for groups of up to 5 people. It has a large luggage space of almost 750 liters. It has a powerful engine 2,4l and 4WD that can handle all conditions very well. We have it available in three models. Both Automatic and manual.
Jeep Grand Cherokee – The Cherokee is a great 4x4 vehicle with a large engine making highland travels very easy. It also has a large luggage space and is comfortable for 5 people. What makes our Cherokee special is that we have raised them slightly up and put them on larger tires. These are older models but in great condition.
Ford Expedition – If you are traveling with larger groups the Ford Expeditions is perfect. They have 8 seats, if 8 people are traveling we recommend taking Roof Box for extra luggage space. The Expedition is an automatic transmission and 4WD vehicle. It has a powerful engine and high ground clearance.
Our Camping Cars – We have a wide range of 4x4 Camper vehicles available during the summertime that is perfect for traveling to Landmannalaugar. All from Suzuki Jimny, Dacia Duster, Suzuki Grand Vitara, and also Dodge Durango with XXL Roof tent for 3-4 person. You can read more about our campers and our camping equipment
When is the best time to visit Landmannalaugar?
It is best to visit Landmannalaugar during the Summertime as you will be able to enjoy the beautiful colors and the landscape is flourishing. At the same time, it is the only time it is possible to do a self-drive into Landmannalaugar on a 4x4 rental car from Icerental4x4.
During the summertime, it is also possible to do all kinds of hiking, both short and long hiking where you can enjoy and truly feel the Icelandic untouched nature at its best. Landmannalauger also has hot springs that we recommend to take a dip into and enjoy the natural bath that is unique in Iceland.
It is possible to explore Landmannalaugar during the wintertime, but only on specialized Super Jeeps. There are Super Jeep companies that offer tours into Landmannalaugar in the wintertime where you can the hot springs and Northern Lights. The mountains are covered by snow so it is a different experience. We would like to point out that it is forbidden to excess in the wintertime on a car rental vehicle.
Camping in Landmannalaugar
When going to Landmannalaugar you can camp in the highland. There is a basecamp in the middle of Landmannalaugar where there is a camping space with full facility offered by The Icelandic Touring Association. There are toilets, showers, cooking utilities, and everything that you need to camp whether you are staying for one night or many. It is not allowed to camp anywhere, but there are camping areas where you can park the camping car. You can read all about how to dress for Iceland
We have a wide range of 4x4 camping cars that are perfect if you want to get the full camping experience while traveling to Landmannalaugar. We also have various camping equipment available for rent such as camping tables and chairs, sleeping bags, kitchen boxes, wifi, and more.
Service fees in Landmannalaugar
- Showers cost 500 ISK for all visitors
- Landmannalaugar hut is 9000 ISK per person ( for one night )
- Landmannalaugar camping is 2000 ISK per person ( for one night )
When Travelling in Landmannalaugar
The nature in Landmannalaugar is very delicate and needs to be shown full respect. Driving off-road is illegal in Iceland and it can lead to heavy fines.
It is important to avoid walking outside of the hiking paths that have been set up and please do not step on the moss. The moss is very vulnerable and can take many years to heal if it is damaged.
If you plan to hike in Landmannalaugar it is important to have a GPS device. It is also crucial to have proper clothes for hiking as we can never know what type of weather we get. We recommend visiting SafeTravel to get more tips about traveling to Iceland.