Travel Guide to Landmannalaugar by Icerental4x4
This is the ultimate travel guide to Landmannalaugar. Here we will go over the roads and conditions that is good to know before driving the Icelandic highlands.
Landmannalaugar is one of the most popular places to visit in the highlands of Iceland. It is only allowed to drive to Landmannalaugar in a 4x4 car. The roads to Landmannalaugar are only open during the summertime but are closed over the winter due to snow and heavy conditions. Estimate opening dates are as follows:
Fjallabaksleið Nyðri – F208
Sigalda – Landmannalaugar
Laugar – Eldgjá
Eldgjá – Skaftártunga
Earliest opening period
Lates opening period
Fjallabaksleið syðri – F210
Keldur – Hvanngil
Hvannagil – Skaftártunga
Earliest opening period
Lates opening period
Landmannaleið (Dómad.) – F225
Earliest opening period
Lates opening period
It tells us that they estimate that you can go into Landmannalaugar from the 9th of June and the latest, in early July. It depends on the weather conditions when the roads and landscape will be ready to be driven and explored. On average, they open in late June, but it is something that can never be guaranteed as the Icelandic weather conditions are unpredictable.
What are Landmannalaugar ?
Landmannalaugar is in the highlands of Iceland, located in the Fjallabak Nature Reserve. It is known for natural geothermal hot springs and the breathtaking landscape that surrounds you with mountains and lava fields. It is trendy to visit for hiking; one of the most popular hikes in Iceland, the Laugavegur, can either be started or finished in Landmannalaugar. Laugavegur hiking is a 53KM walk from the geothermal springs in Landmannalaugar to Þórsmörk nature reserve.
It is also possible to camp in Landmannalaugar, where they have toilets, showers, and cooking equipment. It is also possible to rent a sleeping area in Landmannalaugar to stay overnight. Going to Landmannalaugar can also be a full-day trip with a 4x4 rental vehicle. It is only possible to travel to Landmannalaugar in a 4x4 car.
It takes about 3 hours to drive to Landmannalaugar from Reykjavík. Still, we recommend having some stops while going towards Landmannalaugar as the landscape is majestical, and it is hard to move past without stopping and enjoying some of its views.
How to get there?
There are many ways to go go to Landmannalaugar. Some roads may include rivers that need to be crossed, but there is also one way to go without crossing over any rivers.
- The best way to travel from Landmannalaugar to the base camp is to drive from Road nr1 to Road 26 (or 30 and then 32) and turn right down to Road F208. A gas station near the beginning of F208 on road 26 is called the Highland Center Hrauneyjar. Driving road F208 from road 26 down to the base camp has no rivers to cross, but the ride can get bumpy on the gravel roads. We always recommend going both in and out of Landmannalaugar with this route to avoid rivers. The landscape while driving F208 from 26 to base camp is genuinely breathtaking.
- You can also enter from Road 26 to Road F225, called Landmannaleið. The road leads to road F208, where you will follow the signs and take F224 to base camp. Driving F225, you will find a few rivers to cross; one of them can be deep. If it has been raining on previous days before you travel to Landmannalaugar, we recommend taking F208 and not F225.
- It is also possible to enter Landmannalaugar from the south close to Vík from road one you turn up on F208, and it will end by the basecamp. It has always been a famous road to take to Landmannalaugar, but it needs to be driven carefully as up to 18 rivers, small and large, need to be crossed. When going from South to F208, the first river is the biggest and can be very deep. If you are travelling at the end of the summer, we do not recommend going this way. We want to point out that we have lost vehicles on this route (From Vík, F208 to Landmannalaugar), so the risk must be considered.
- The last way to enter Landmannalaugar is to go on road F210, which leads to F208 on the south. While driving F210, you can see amazing views from Hekla, a stratovolcano in the south of Iceland. This route also has rivers that must be crossed while driving, so we recommend taking F225 or F208 from the north instead.
The roads going into Landmannalaugar are only open during the summertime. The highland roads are not paved, and the road conditions can quickly change due to weather, so we recommend driving a 4x4 rental car.
Iceland has no insurance to cover water damages, so crossing rivers is the driver's responsibility.
What car is best to rent to go to Landmannalaugar?
When choosing your rental vehicle, it is essential to consider where you would like to travel and what roads to explore. For example, when driving to Landmannalaugar, you must have a 4x4 vehicle, but it is often tricky to choose what 4x4 vehicle is the best for the job.
We at Icerental4x4 specialize in 4x4 vehicles providing a wide range of cars in all sizes and ages so all groups can find their fit.
Suzuki Jimny – The Suzuki Jimny is perfect for two people travelling. Although it is mentioned for four-person, it is small, so two people + luggage is ideal. The Jimny has proven its toughness in Iceland for many years. It has 4x4 and is a manual transmission. It has high ground clearance making it easy to drive on rough gravel roads.
Dacia Duster – Dacia Duster has been one of Iceland's most popular rental vehicles in the past years. It has 4x4, where you can also lock the differential if necessary. It is suitable for four-person with luggage. It has good ground clearance and is very fuel-efficient for a 4x4 vehicle.
Suzuki Grand Vitara – The Suzuki Grand Vitara is perfect for up to 5 people groups. It has an ample luggage space of almost 750 litres. It has a powerful engine, 2,4l and 4WD, that can handle all conditions very well. We have it available in three models. Both Automatic and manual.
Subaru XV - The XV is known for its all-wheel-drive system, spacious interior, and off-road capabilities. It is also equipped with Subaru's EyeSight driver assistance technology, which includes features such as adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning. Overall, the Subaru XV is a versatile and reliable vehicle that is well-suited for both city driving and outdoor adventures.
Ford Expedition – If you travel with larger groups, the Ford Expeditions is perfect. They have eight seats, and if eight people are travelling, we recommend taking a Roof Box for extra luggage space. The Expedition is an automatic transmission and 4WD vehicle. It has a powerful engine and high ground clearance.
Our Camping Cars – We have a wide range of 4x4 Camper vehicles available during the summertime, perfect for travelling to Landmannalaugar. All from Suzuki Jimny, Dacia Duster, Suzuki Grand Vitara, and Dodge Durango with XXL Roof tent for 3-4 people. You can read more about our campers and our camping equipment.
When is the best time to visit Landmannalaugar?
It is best to visit Landmannalaugar during the summertime as you will be able to enjoy the beautiful colours and the landscape is flourishing. At the same time, it is the only time it is possible to do a self-drive into Landmannalaugar on a 4x4 rental car from Icerental4x4.
During the summertime, it is also possible to do all kinds of hiking, both short and long, where you can enjoy and truly feel the untouched Icelandic nature. Landmannalauger also has hot springs that we recommend taking a dip into and enjoying the unique natural bath in Iceland.
It is possible to explore Landmannalaugar during the wintertime, but only on specialized Super Jeeps. Super Jeep companies offer tours into Landmannalaugar in the wintertime, where you can see the hot springs and Northern Lights. The mountains are covered by snow, so it is a different experience. We want to point out that it is forbidden to excess on a car rental vehicle in the winter.
Camping in Landmannalaugar
When going to Landmannalaugar, you can camp in the highland. There is a basecamp in the middle of Landmannalaugar where there is a camping space with an entire facility offered by The Icelandic Touring Association. There are toilets, showers, cooking utilities, and everything you need to camp, whether you are staying for one night or many. It is not allowed to camp anywhere, but there are camping areas where you can park the camping car. You can read all about how to dress for Iceland.
We have a wide range of 4x4 camping cars that are perfect if you want to get the full camping experience while travelling to Landmannalaugar. We also have various camping equipment available for rent, such as camping tables and chairs, sleeping bags, kitchen boxes, wifi, and more.
Service fees in Landmannalaugar
- Showers cost 500 ISK for all visitors.
- Landmannalaugar hut is 9000 ISK per person ( for one night )
- Landmannalaugar camping is 2000 ISK per person ( for one night )
- Prices can be changed yearly
When Travelling in Landmannalaugar
The nature in Landmannalaugar is very delicate and needs to be shown full respect. Furthermore, driving off-road is illegal in Iceland, and it can lead to heavy fines.
It is essential to avoid walking outside of the hiking paths that have been set up, and please do not step on the moss. The moss is very vulnerable and can take many years to heal if damaged.
If you plan to hike in Landmannalaugar, it is essential to have a GPS device. It is also crucial to have proper clothes for hiking as we can never know what type of weather we will get. We recommend visiting SafeTravel to get more tips about travelling to Iceland.